Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day Momma

by Brittany Geragotelis

Me and Mom
Today is Mother's Day, so what better time to list all the things I love about my mom? Here are my top 10.

1. She's funny. Maybe she's not stand-up funny, but she always makes me laugh. One of her fave things to say? "You're funny--funny looking!"
2. She's always encouraged me to follow my dreams. And she's done this through example. She's a ballet teacher and has always said that work isn't work when you're doing what you love. Even though publishing books is a bit of a lofty dream, she's never told me I couldn't achieve it.
Mom in a chicken suit she made for Halloween
3. She's dorky. My mom's not what you would call a serious person. She's dorky, but in the same way that I am. She says weird things, she'll bust out in the splits anytime, anywhere, and she dances in the car like a lunatic. She's adorkable.
4. She's strong. Looking at her, you wouldn't think she's lived the life she's lived. She's raised three strong-willed, confident young women. There was a time when she worked several jobs at a time just to pay the bills. She was held up at gun-point. She was stalked by a serial killer. She survived horrible situations and came out the other side better for it.
Me at Disneyland
5. She's a big kid. There is NO ONE I'd rather go to Disneyland with than my mom. She wakes up early so we can be there when they snip the ribbon to let people in to the park. She makes us run from one ride to the next and she believes that everything is as magical as the first time she went there...even when we've been there a million times before. She jokes that when Matt and I go on our honeymoon there, she's going to come along, because she's so much fun to go with.
Here's a cake my mom made and decorated
6. She believes in her kids. My mom hates to read...but she's now read three of my books. She was there 100% when my sister was trying to get pregnant, then all throughout her pregnancy and now as a Memaw to my nephew. She's all for my baby sister playing video games for her chosen career. Whatever we want to do, she's supportive, and when we fall along the way, she picks us up.
Here's a dress she designed for one of her students
7. She's uber-talented. Not only is she a phenomenal dancer, but she can also sew just about anything. She makes all her costumes for her ballet performances and she made my sister's bridesmaid's dresses. Seriously, she could have a second career designing and making clothes, she's that good. And she can decorate a mean cake, too.
8. She's a scaredy cat. She will NOT watch scary movies. When we were growing up, she wouldn't even let me watch "Are You Afraid of the Dark" on Nickelodeon while she was in the same room, because she thought it was too scary. This is especially funny, considering that all of her kids are obsessed with scary movies.
Here's a hat she created for one of the cruises she went on
9. She knows what she wants. And it's perfection. To say she's a perfectionist is an understatement. Her house MUST be perfectly clean at all times. If a thread is sticking out of a costume, it must be snipped. And don't worry if you don't do something perfectly...she'll fix it. You've gotta respect someone who has a vision and isn't afraid to go after it.
10. She's a great mom. I am who I am today because of my mom and I wouldn't have it any other way. She's the best and I'm lucky to have her in my life.

Happy Mother's day, Mom! Love you!

5x5,
B.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I have the three most wonderful daughters in the world. I am so proud to be their mother!

 
;