Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Intern Diaries: Meet Rose!


by Rose Kahn
Meet Brittany's new intern: Rose Kahn!

The reason one writes isn't the fact he wants to say something. He writes because he has something to say.” 
--F. Scott Fitzgerald

Hi everyone! 

My name is Rose Kahn and I’m Brittany’s new intern. I wanted to introduce myself to the Brittany fan world: 

A) because Brittany asked me to, and 
B) because you guys are seriously some of the best fans ever! 

When Brittany first asked me to write this post I panicked. What would I say? Would people be interested? I know sometimes my thoughts even bore me. It can cause problems when I’m trying to tan or meditate (makes yoga tricky sometimes). But then I took a deep breath, a yoga technique, and realized that I could just be honest with all you great readers out there. We all have a mutual love for reading and writing, so why not share that love and chat a bit. Here it goes….from the beginning. 

"Luck is where the crossroads of opportunity and preparation meet." --Seneca

Just a few (too many) subway stops away from Brittany's place on the UES!
It was a nice pre-spring day in March when Brittany and I met up at her favorite Gluten Free Bakery (Pip’sPlace) on the Upper East Side.  As I came huffing and puffing off a delayed train from Brooklyn (same name as her character from What the Spell!) she greeted me with a megawatt smile and generous attitude (and cute sweat-suit outfit that I wish I could pull off). She introduced me to the entire bakery staff and then raved about their pastries for a few minutes. I was salivating over the spread but decided to be professional and order after our chat. My eyes kept wandering over to the chocolate babbka that was calling my name and I lost focus many times. When I was finally able to take my eyes off its chocolaty goodness, I got to know Brittany a little better.
Best cakery in town!
She’s seriously awesome you guys! She loves to read and write, and loves her books, characters and fans so much! She told me about how she got her start and how much work goes into achieving your dreams. She was honest about hard work, rejection and drive. When you want something bad enough, you’ll throw away your ego and make it happen. I truly believe this. You have to work hard to achieve your dreams. If you stay the course, and work your butt off you can succeed. It won’t be easy and lots of people will say no. But you have to be strong and approach it from a different angle. If one road is blocked take another route. Never give up, and never surrender. (Yes, I did just quote Braveheart. But hey if it works…)

"If the apocalypse comes, beep me!" 
--Buffy Summers 

Into the second hour ( we talked so long we lost track of time) we discovered our healthy (or not so healthy) obsession with “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” When Brittany and I started talking about our mutual love for all things Sunnydale, our voices raised an octave or two and we began to babble about Buffy’s hair, Xanders clothing and shot quotes back and forth like teenagers (I’m sure the bakers enjoyed that). We spoke about Whedonisim (that’s Joss Whendon’s genius for all you non Buffyverse people out there) and what shows we are currently watching. We both watch “Pretty Little Liars,” “The Vampire Diaries” (hello, Ian Somerhalder!) and think teen dramas have evolved so much over the years, that individuals of all ages can enjoy them without feeling immature.
Best show EVER.
I am proud to say I love all things pop culture—but I still make sure to stay on top of what’s going on in the world. I love ENews! (Giuliana is my spirit sister) almost as much as I love CNN. I can read PerezHilton with my morning Greek yogurt and still check the NewYorkTimes.com a dozen times a day. I believe myself a post-modern feminist who can be awed by Hillary Clinton’s work as Secretary of State, but still cringe at the state of her wardrobe. I can watch Kevin Spacey’s new Netflix show House of Cards with rapt interest about the seedy underbelly of the government and give the same captivated attention to ABC Family’s “Pretty Little Liars” (Who is “A”? Tell us already! I think its Aria, I don’t know why, I just do.).
Deliciously devious
I watch all types of movies and all kinds of television. I don’t discriminate. Good writing, good acting and good directing…I’m in. Buffy was my heroine. I looked up to her and her strength. She went through so much and came out triumphant in the end, while never forgetting her friends. She was also insecure, and although very pretty, never thought too highly of herself, but she knew that because she was a human being she deserved happiness. She deserved good friends, love and a good family. Brittany’s books display the same themes and I greatly appreciate that. We are all human beings who deserve to be happy and treated with respect and love no matter who we are or what we look like. Yay for the human race!

"Last but not least."

So, in my first week I tried downloading all the apps Brittany told me about when we should’ve been working (loved my fishtail braid tutorial), but I’m attached to my iPhone and am scared to download anything else for fear it won’t be able to hold any more of my Drake and Mumford and Sons songs. I love to read almost as much as shopping. I’ve read Twilight and The Great Gatsby, both among my favorites and peruse “Publishers’ Lunch” daily. I sometimes try on everything at Saks, then go to H&M and try to replicate my couture dreams. I get daily emails from GiltGroup and RueLaLa.com but only to buy baby gifts. I live for the organic ginger snaps at Wholefoods but die for Magnolia cupcakes. I’m a walking contradiction, but at least I’m an honest one.


Look at those arms!
I am both equally outraged and intrigued by things like “The Atlantic’s” Why Women Can’t Have it All?, and the idea that Michelle Obama’s bangs might be a mid-life crisis (They are stunning! Why all the hate?). I see equality and freedom as a choice, and I believe that freedom allows us to choose between what we want to pursue and what we each individually consider to be our biggest happiness in life. I try to keep myself abreast of all topics and not judge too harshly, be opinionated but never take myself too seriously. I believe in being young at heart but being mature in my decisions. I love all types of books and music, and hope to make an impact on the world some day, however small it may be. I’m so excited to be working with Brittany and to talk to you all every week! This is going to be such an adventure. So glad you’re all coming along for the ride!

Cheers everyone, until next week….
Rose


                                                                                                      

1 comments:

PalankR said...

Great post! Keep 'em coming!!!

 
;