Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The good thing about being sick...

by Brittany Geragotelis

So, I came down with a cold this weekend...the one that all my co-workers and friends have had over the past couple of weeks. And it pretty much sucks! I'm stuffed up, can't stop sneezing and when I breathe through my nostril, it feels like it's on fire! Ugh. When you're sick, it's hard to remember what it feels like to be well.

BUT the one (and only) good thing that comes along with being sick, is that it's like the one time you don't have to feel guilty about being lazy. It's practically required that you lay around, take naps, drink lots of fluids, watching bad television and movies, and play on the computer. So, I guess it shouldn't be surprising that I watched about a dozen eps of "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" and "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills," and a bunch of movies over the three-day weekend.

photo credit: 20th Century Fox
I did manage to drag myself out to the movies (bundled up and in sweats of course) on Sunday, to see Black Swan—though in hindsight, I'm not sure it was worth leaving the house for. I'd heard so much about Black Swan that I was really excited to see it. People have been pretty close-lipped about the storyline, just saying that it's "intense," "dark" and "messed up." From the previews, I couldn't tell whether it was a horror film or a psychological thriller (it was the latter), so I wasn't absolutely sure what I was getting myself into when we went. In the end, I was mostly underwhelmed. I didn't think it was all that shocking (although there's a lot of sexual situations and some violence), and I didn't think it was incredibly groundbreaking.

photo credit: 20th Century Fox
Not usually a fan of Natalie Portman, I actually found her to be great in the role, doing a good job of creating a brand-new character through her voice choices and mannerisms. And I'm a big fan of Mila Kunis, so it was nice to see her in a darker role. The movie was shot beautifully though, and especially the ending with her turning into the Black Swan—that was incredible! The dancing was also really good, and at times it was hard to tell when it was Natalie dancing or her body double.

photo credit: 20th Century Fox
But all in all, I was expecting more. More drama, more intensity, more darkness, more something. I thought that the over-use of sexual context was a bit much and really think the film would've been better without it, though I applaud Natalie and Mila for being willing to go there.

So, there it is. Black Swan: While visually stunning, the storyline left a lot to be desired. Did any of you see any movies this weekend? Anything good?

5x5,
B.

0 comments:

 
;