Sunday, August 29, 2010

Jay-Z's new girl

by Brittany Geragotelis

On Friday, I was lucky enough to spend the day with Alexis Jordan. This 18-year-old is the first female solo artist on Jay-Z's label RocNation and let me tell you, she's one cool character. I was excited but nervous to hang out with the former cheerleader, not because I thought she would be anything but sweet, but because this was one of the first times I've had the opportunity to shadow a celeb for an interview. I'm used to talking to stars over the phone, with my trusty list of notes and my recorder capturing our convo. But doing an interview face-to-face...that's a whole other thing entirely.

Nonetheless, I was excited for the opportunity. Over the past six months, I've been trying to challenge myself with my writing. My latest book, Painless, was darker and angrier than anything else I've written. I've taken some leaps with my features at work, really trying to stay away from what's comfortable and thinking outside the word document. So, pushing myself into a situation that made me a little nervous and meeting it head on was exactly what I needed.

To start out the day, my co-worker, Jess, and I met Alexis, her mom and her agent at Good Day NY to watch her play a bit of her first single, "Happiness" for a segment that aired on Sunday. A clip of it will even be shown in cabs from now until Labor Day. We got there just in time for her to tape the show, and had a chance to listen to her sing acapela.





All I can say is: The girl's got talent.


After that, the day went by in a blur of performances, sound checks, interviews, meet & greets and one very interesting lunch. It was really cool getting to know this talented girl and even more impressive that she's able to handle the crazy schedule that accompanies a singing artist on the RocNation label. It definitely got me thinking about whether or not I'd ever be able to handle that kind of life. You know....up at four, going from one thing to the next, being "on" all day, the public scrutinizing you all the time. By the end of the day, I was exhausted. And it wasn't even all about me; I was just along for the ride.

But that doesn't mean I don't think I could handle being a published author. Traveling around and doing book signings, author interviews, meet & greets—THAT I'm pretty sure I could get used to. Now all I need is that darn book deal....

5x5,
B.

0 comments:

 
;