Monday, August 9, 2010

Project Husband

by Brittany Geragotelis

A lot of people criticize reality shows like "The Bachelor," "The Bachelorette" or even "Rock of Love." Haters say that it's not really love. That a couple couldn't meet and fall in love, get married within a short amount of time and possibly have a lasting relationship. But when more than 40% (stats are from 2008) of all marriages end in divorce, and most of those no doubt began with years of courting/dating, who's to say how much time is suitable to find a lifelong partner. For that matter, whose right is it to say that gay people can't marry the love of their lives...after all, if they think they can make the union last with the present odds, why deny them that opportunity.

But I digress.

My own parents had a whirlwind courtship: They met and married within 10 months and now, 24 years later, they're still going strong. My point is, is there really a concrete amount of time you need to know someone before getting hitched or is it more about just choosing the right person? Because if you think about it, it doesn't really matter how long you know a person...if they're not right for you, it's sort of doomed from the start.

That's why I sort of have to respect Lisa Linehan for her perseverance and initiative in finding a husband. See, she's lived most of her life as a happy, single, independent woman, but at the age of 35, she realized she wanted to get married. So, she started to plan. Now, she's got the venue, the date and the dress narrowed down to four; the only thing she doesn't have? The groom. Determined to find a partner for life, Lisa created Project Husband. And she's tackling this project with serious fervor. And who's to say that one of the men she meets over the next few months wasn't meant to be "the one" just because she gave herself a project deadline?

What do you think? Right or wrong? Doomed or genius? Leave your comments below!

5x5,
B.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh.... when I read the title of your blog I thought that Matt was your project husband and that maybe he just needed a little push to be the 'perfect' husband

Anonymous said...

I do agree with you about people who date someone and they know pretty much from the start that they aren't the right person, yet they stay with that person for what? Sex? companionship? Security? I think that for myself, I would much rather be alone than stay with someone just to have 'someone'. Not that I look at every guy that I date as could they be my potential husband, but I think as we get older, that sort of is in the back of our minds. Could he/she be 'the one?'
I know people that are in long term relationships, and while one person may feel that it is going 'someplace' and see themselves 'spending the rest of their life with that person' especially since they have been together for a long time, the other person has no intention of letting it get that far and basically made that decision early on in the relationship, and I think that's wrong.

Brittany said...

Anonymous #1--I totally agree, if someone knows from the get-go that they would have no intention of marrying someone, it's wrong (downright deceitful actually) to remain with that person if the other is thinking it's eventually going to end in marriage. That guy (or girl; it goes both ways) is what I would classify as a grade-A douche.

And silly Anonymous #2. Matt would never agree to be anyone's project...willingly.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Brit. Any guy that knows from the get go that they have no intention of marrying someone they are with for a long time is a douche and any girl is a biatch. Its selfishness and selfcenteredness---having no regard for the other persons feelings.

I'm sure too that those are the same people who feel no remorse for cheating on their partner.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anon 2. I think as we get older the longer you are in a relationship the more you say to yourself, 'can I see myself with this person in 20 years from now'? 'are we made for each other?' I think if you can honestly say yes that's great. But if you can honestly say 'no' then why are you staying with them?

Anonymous said...

Obviously Brit and Matt are made for each other so he must have great taste. They've been together for almost 3 years and that's the longest relationship Matt has ever been in so that must be saying something good about our Brit.

 
;