Sunday, August 1, 2010

100th Post Celebration!

by Brittany Geragotelis

I can hardly believe it, but this is my 100th post! Time sure flies when you're writing blogs.

You know, I first started this blog because I was knee-deep in trying to find myself a new agent and I figured that my having a blog would look good on my writing resume. But to be honest, a big part of the reason I started http://brittanythebookslayer.blogspot.com is because at the time I was dealing with a lot of rejection. I was getting "no's" left and right and was beginning to feel pretty down. You can only hear that you're a great writer and that an agent loves your writing and your story...just not enough to take you on as a client, before wanting to call it quits for good. So, yes, I originally started this blog as an outlet; a way of getting my writing out there to the public, minus the rejection.

So, I guess it's only fitting that I'm writing my 100th post just a few days after getting my first rejection of my latest manuscript, Painless.

The difference is, this time I have a little more encouragement on my side. I have all my amazing readers out there who log in on a daily basis and make me feel like my writing isn't for nothing. Sure, the rejection hurts. I don't think there's a writer out there who doesn't feel the sting despite how often it happens. But the fact that people enjoy reading what I write—book or blog—well, that feels pretty darn good.

So, as for the recent rejection. I gave myself a day to feel a bit blue. Let my super awesome boyfriend take me to Target (the new one that just opened up in the city; btw, if you haven't been yet...it's AWESOME!) and buy me a present (a cool new notebook), take me to dinner at our favorite gluten-free asian cuisine restaurant, Lili & Loo, watch Despicable Me at 86th St and end the night with a stop at Pinkberry.

And after having my night of feeling sad, I let it go and devised my Plan B, which will include a few revisions of Painless before I start sending it out to another round of agents (and a few publishers that have offered to take a look). In the meantime, I have this blog...and all of you who are great enough to read it! Thanks for logging on for 100 Posts!

5x5,
B.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! You're always so positive. And you're right!! Everyone is right there along with you. We are going to be there every step of the way as you climb to stairway to stardom!!

Anonymous said...

Oh that Matt, he sure is a keeper. We'll have to start singing Beyonce to him ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah Matt. If you like it you'd 'better put a ring on it' as Beyonce says, cuz our B is a keeper too.

Brittany said...

Hahahaha, guys, calm down. Some of you are in an awful hurry to marry me off. Chillax....

:)

 
;