Monday, September 20, 2010

Three Requests and a Rejection (and a half)

by Brittany Geragotelis

I have to admit, I was a little worried when I started out this round of queries with a big fat rejection (and not even a personal one...one that actually said, "We're sorry for the impersonal nature of this standard rejection letter..."). But I wasn't going to stress over it. In fact, I let it roll off of me and kept my attitude set to "Positive."

And good thing too, because the day after I received that rejection, I got a request for my full manuscript from one of the other agents I'd queried. And then a few days later, another agent wanted to look at it, too. Agent #4 (who's actually a friend of a friend) let me know that Painless wasn't for him, but that he wanted me to send the summaries of each of my other books. So, not exactly a rejection, but not exactly a "yes" either (to this book).

Then yesterday, I received another request, this time for the first 30 pages! People seem to be generally interested in the book, which is awesome! Now, if only one of them (or more; I certainly wouldn't mind if there was a bidding war over representing me) would fall in love with it and take me on as their client!

So, since last time I kept a positive attitude about this whole thing and got some positive feedback, I figure this is the way to go. Though I don't want to get ahead of myself (or become overconfident), a little bit of faith couldn't hurt...I think I can, I think I can....

What do you guys do to stay positive? Leave your comments above!

5x5,
B.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talk to my kids, of course. . . !

Michelle said...

write...more?
HAH.

Denise said...

I do what my Nanny used to do. I say "This or something better". or if I think something negative, I say "Cancel that".

 
;