Monday, April 12, 2010

Words of Wisdom from Miss Paula Abdul

by Brittany Geragotelis

More great news on the blog front! Deborah Gregory (the WILD woman behind The Cheetah Girls and Catwalk series) and the talented and lovely Jessica Bendinger (Writer of Bring It On, writer and director of Stick It and author of The Seven Rays) have both agreed to answer a few questions for this blog (and all of you!!) Both women are beyond awesome and I can't wait to bring you their answers! I promise it'll be worth it!

So, when I got into work this morning and finally got a chance to sit down at my computer (so much drama-rama I can't even begin to tell you), I turned iTunes to random and you know what the first song was to come blaring through the mini speakers? Paula Abdul's "Opposites Attract." Now, being that I've met Paula before (I mean, actually hung out with her on two separate occasions—jealous yet? No? Well, check out the photo with my homegirl, Paula, above) I already know first-hand that she's got a big heart and thick skin (She'd have to, to put up with Simon's crap!). This is how I know that there's got to be a bit of wisdom behind her songs.



So, I began to really think about the meaning behind the song, "Opposites Attract," and sure enough, Paula knew what she was talking about.

"I take two steps forward
I take two steps back
We come together, 'cuz opposites attract
And you know, it ain't fiction
Just a natural fact
We come together, 'cuz opposites attract.

Baby ain't it somethin'
How we lasted this long
You and me, provin' everyone wrong
Don't think we'll ever
Get our differences patched
Don't really matter, 'cuz we're perfectly matched."


See, on paper, my boyfriend, Matt, and I don't really match up. He's CNN, I'm The CW. He knows a lot about politics (I don't), and I know a ridiculous amount of pop culture (he really doesn't care about celebs). We have totally different beliefs when it comes to spirituality. He doesn't believe in ghosts and I like to go on ghost hunts. So, on the surface, it would seem like we probably wouldn't make a good couple...but we do.

It's funny, because I often think to myself, "how did we ever get together?" And the truth is: it's because we just fit. Together, we make a great pair. Our relationship is a strong and healthy one, despite our differences (or possibly because of them). But how, when on the outside it seems that we wouldn't get along, have we made it work? Here are a few things I've learned about being in a relationship with my total opposite:

1. It's important to bond over the things you DO have in common. It could be your love for peanut butter and potato chip sandwiches or the Harry Potter books, but finding things you both enjoy will help to keep you bonding as a couple. For Matt and I, we both love the movies (though our tastes in genre differ, we love watching nearly anything), certain TV shows (we watch "Dexter", "House", "Glee" and "Big Love" together!) and we're both very creative in our personal lives (Matt makes films and I write books).

2. Agree to disagree...and then leave it alone. Matt and I learned very early on that if we were going to have differing opinions about certain big topics and actually remain in this relationship, we'd have to figure out a way to be okay with it. So, we decided that neither of us would push our beliefs on the other. We respect the other's thoughts and feelings, while retaining our own. I don't force him to sit through situations that make him uncomfortable and he doesn't lecture me about my views. For us, this works.

3. View your differences as opportunities to grow. Because our personalities are so different, Matt and I both bring different things to the table that I believe have helped us grow individually. For instance, Matt pays a lot of attention to politics and the news--because of this, I was forced to watch several history-making speeches that I never would have seen if it had been up to me (the election, the vote for health care, etc). And because of all my "Hannah Montana" watching, Matt's been able to contribute to conversations with people at his job who are working on a tween website. See? Win-win. (Well, in my opinion, he did a little more winning in this particular situation, but what can you do?)

4. If it aint broke, don't try and fix it. In the end, if you and your honey make a good couple, it doesn't really matter that you're puzzled as to why you're a good couple. Who cares why it works? The point is, it does. Love is rare...so just go with it, already.

Now, because Matt and I haven't made our own music video yet, here's a look at the one Paula made with her foxy guy. It pretty much sums us up anyway. Enjoy.

5x5,
B.

0 comments:

 
;