Thursday, April 15, 2010

Favorite Things Friday

by Brittany Geragotelis

TGIF! I don't know about you, but the weekend couldn't have come sooner for me and I'm looking forward to a nice, fun, relaxing (writing-filled) time. But before we all drift off into La-La Land (isn't that what we ALL do on the weekends?), here's a list of a few of my favorite things from this week.


THE (UN)KINDNESS OF STRANGERS
Here's a little story to start your weekend off with a laugh. Yesterday I was walking back from grabbing lunch with my co-worker, Toni. It was a relatively nice day, so I was wearing a black dress and some knee-high socks (I was channeling my inner Rachel from "Glee"). They were red, black and white striped. Anyway, we were walking back to our office and passed by a homeless man who was snarling at people as they passed. All of a sudden I heard, "Those socks are AWFUL!" I took a few steps before I realized that he was talking to me. I kept walking, but was thinking to myself, "Wait. You're really judging my socks?" You really can't do anything besides laugh in a situation like that. I mean, who says that? They were really cute socks, too. And comfy!

Jump at the Sun
THE DEVINE DEBORAH GREGORY
My good friend and DIVA extraordinaire, Deborah Gregory, was nice enough to take some time away from writing the latest book in her Catwalk series to share her writing secrets, her experiences getting published and the scoop on what she's got coming up in the near future (Hint: It's fabulous and fierce—just like her!). Famous for her best-selling series, The Cheetah Girls, Deborah has a wealth of knowledge regarding the publishing industry. I'll be posting my interview with her right here, on my blog, this Monday the 19th! Stay tuned, you won't want to miss what she has to say!

WAY TO GO OBAMA!
Though I'm not usually one for change (I tend to like my schedules and don't like to deviate from my comfort zone), sometimes change can be really, really great. That's why I was so happy when I heard that President Obama has mandated that hospitals allow visitation rights to partners of gay men and lesbians as well as given them the right to make healthcare choices on their behalf if given the power to do so. I really feel like this is such a big step in the right direction toward equal rights. No one should be allowed to tell another who they can and can't have in their lives...

photo credit: FOX/Glee
THREE CHEERS FOR "GLEE!"
Was there anyone more excited than I, that "Glee" made its triumphant return to the small screen this week? Uh, I don't think so! There were so many amazing things about the first episode back after a much too long hiatus...Lionel Richie's "Hello"; the angry, jilted gf version of All-American Rejects' "Give You Hell"; EVERY line delivered by Jane Lynch! I seriously broke out into song (At least 3 times), it was so good! But I think this week's standout performance was by the ditzy blonde cheerleader, Brittany. Until now, this actress hasn't had much of a role, but it seems like they're expanding her character—and it's a good thing, too, because that girl is hilarious! All I gotta say is that she's beginning to outshine the others with her perfectly-timed quips and comments. Her "Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?" line had me dying!

Scholastic Books
CATCHING FIRE
Okay, okay. I know I said I was on the fence in terms of the first book in The Hunger Games series, but I think I've fully caught the fan bug. And it's spreading. Fast. I'm over halfway done with the sequel, Catching Fire, and I'm officially addicted. I still think it's a little violent for a kids book, but it's good. I'll have a review of it next week.



Well, that's it for now. Hope you all have a great weekend!

5x5,
B.

0 comments:

 
;